Monday 29 October 2012

Task 2D- Inquiry

At first I found this task quite difficult. As I am not in a full time performing job at the moment i didnt think i would have anything to talk about that would co-incide with the questions asked. After reading through other peoples blogs i realised that i had plenty of things i could relate this task to. Whether it be past or present, in a dance class or down the gym...it all is relevant and part of my professional practice.

I have broke the task down in to sections, each answering the questions given to us in the hand book.

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

I am an avid gym-goer and friends of mine know that a session down the gym is part of my daily routine. I just love it and I love the feeling it gives me. I leave in such a positive frame of mind which always sets me off on the right foot for the day! You could say as a whole that it is fitness and health that i am very enthusiastic about and i feel this is very important in my professional practice. Working out helps me release any negative feelings i may have and it also gives me thinking time. Some of the best ideas and thoughts i come up with whilst running along on the tread mill! I work hard to look after myself and keep fit which then allows me to be confident and walk in to auditions with my head held high. There is nothing worse than going in to an audition not feeling your best. I feel that my ethusiasm for keeping fit and leading a healhy life style helps me gain the right approach to this career.

There are many people I admire throughout my daily practice. The obvious ones of course are friends of mine who through hard work and determination have acheieved their dream jobs. It is rewarding as a friend to see hard work pay off. I also admire people who manage to turn their lives around when things don't go to plan. For example my boyfriend played professionally as a footballer in his late teens but Unfortunately, injury after injury resulted in him being dropped from the team. He was able to turn this negative in to a positive and instead of waiting around for something to come to him, he attented college for a year to obtain the qualifications he would need to go to university. He knew he wanted to make something of himself, even if it wasn't down the football route. After graduating from university with a 2.1 degree, he is now working in a top I.T recruitment company in the heart of London and making an excellent living for himself. I admire not just my boyfriend but other people who are able to come out on the other side of negative situations.

What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger?

It makes me sad when i see people not work to the best of their ability. It could be the smallest of things such as someone not working hard in a dance class. I sometimes wonder why people even bother going! You come out sweating buckets whilst they look like they could step out on to the red carpet...make up in check and not a hair out of place. I think it is the way i have been brought up, to always give 100% and work to the best of your ability and so it infuriates me when I dont see this. It is upsetting to see when someone is naturally talented dancer but has no drive and really doesn't care at all. Another example, is when I once went to watch a west end show (naming no names) and there was a girl up there who looked like it was the worst day of her life. Not only was everything half marked, but she didnt even try and crack a smile and pretend like she was having a good time (and believe me this was a smiley show). This is upsetting to see when there are other people who would do anything to be up on that stage, doing what she's doing (but better). I admire all types of teachers and advisors who make every effort to work around this and try and bring the best out of each of their students.

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

There are soooo many reasons why i love what i do! Ive already explained that i love the fact i have to keep myself fit and healthy as part of my job but i also love that this career can take you anywhere in the world! So not only are you doing what you love and performing, but you also get to explore amazing and beautiful places all over the world. Your doing what people would pay thousands of pounds to do...you are travelling! Whether it be a cruise, a tour, a holiday resort...your passion can take you half way across the world. How lucky are we!! I myself have travelled to Japan and lived there for 8 months and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. It was truly eye opening and introduced me to a completly different way of living. I am embraced the people and their culture which i felt helped me mature and grow as a person. I also learnt life long lessons which will be with me forever.

I am lucky enough to have friends who have also travelled to various parts of the world and share the same love as i do. I admire each and every one of them. They all had the guts and determination to pick up and move to another country for the sake of their careers. There are even some friends of mine still away now, creating a new and exciting life for themselves. I admire these people for making sacrifices and not letting anything stop them from fore filling their dreams.

What do you feel you don't understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you?

I feel i don't understand how jobs in out career have come to be so unstable? I have one particular friend who's first four performance jobs where cancelled! Four in a row! I know my friend was extremely unlucky but it is something that is regulary heard of nowadays. Shows are being axed for a number of reasons but nine times out of ten, it all comes down to money! Its scary for us performers who are waiting for that dream job to come along...because how long will it actually last? We might not even make it past rehearsals! Its hard to understand how we can fight our way through the numerous auditions to finally make the cut, for it then to be taken away from us so quickly. It's a harsh reality we have to deal with and I suppose something we need to accept if we want to carry on doing what we do!

I admire every single person who is able to pick up and move on after knock backs. It's not easy as our emotions are constantly being played with. One minute you're on cloud nine, the next you feel like someone has punched you in the stomach.

I admire every person on this course who is trying to look ahead and secure themselves a more stable future. We are opening doors for ourselves which is exactly what we need in an industry as fickle as ours.


3 comments:

  1. This task could be a the springboard to your professional inquiry which will be the last module on the programme where you will actually conduct an inquiry. Perhaps you are interested in investigating further into how to manage careers in the performing arts working abroad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with so much of what you have said here...in fact everything! I've been thinking a lot about this task and you've helped me see it in a different light.. it never even occurred to me to write about the gym for example. I'm exactly the same with the gym, I love it and every morning it geers me up for the rest of the day but I never thought about it actually affecting my work aswell (how stupid of me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel, well put about the dance classes! If you're not bright red and dripping, there's something wrong for sure!! Nice to see someone with the same opinion as me! I'm in a similar situation to you with work and I had been thinking of leaning the task towards the gym and training aspect of my future career. I'm also training for a half marathon which will give me an extra push. You've given some really good thoughts for me to consider and learn from.

    ReplyDelete