Monday 8 April 2013

6B- Observations

Using observation as a tool in my Inquiry will be very useful. I find witnessing events yourself is very beneficial as you see it from your eyes and point of view, and not just by listening to someone else's opinion. Observations allow you to observe and record events so that you are then able to reflect on the information and analyse, weather this be in written format and using means such as recording equipment.

Does networking enhance the success of your career?

Networking can take place in many types of formats:

Web: blogs, YouTube, Facebook, twitter spotlight.

Socially: conversations with friends/ agents/ industry professionals, class, auditions.

I can take it upon myself to observe some of these situations over the course of the inquiry and discover the different approaches people use. In module one, I talked about how at the beginning of my training, I hated the word 'networking'. I felt this was such a forced thing (being a teachers pet/ licking someone's ego) as some would call it. Growing though this module, I realised that it doesn't always have to be forced and that it can sometimes be quite a natural process as I found myself using various methods throughout my practice and not even realising it! It will be interesting to observe situations and see If the methods used by participants can have a direct link to how successful they are in this profession.

I aim to try out different techniques. For example, when observing a social gathering such as a press night, I can observe from a distance so that the group are not actually aware of my observation. I do not want participants to behave in a certain manner, or do certain things because they feel they should. I feel a social event like this is quite unstructured and so feel that the more natural the situation, the more viable my information and discoveries. However, it will be interesting to see the differences when I do inform participants. Will this effect my results? Some situations will require me to inform the participants because of course sometimes consent is required. Especially if you are recording, e.g class, audition as it is important that we try to stay within ethical frameworks.

A few months back I was part of an audition panel. This was the first time I had experienced this as I am normally on the other side! I couldn't believe how much it opened my eyes! It allowed me to sit back and take in the whole room, where as normally I am just worrying about myself. I feel this observation benefited me greatly as a lot of techniques used by the participants I was then able to put in to my own audition practice. You are being judged from the moment you walk in the room, even when you are stood waiting to perform, you are always being watched. For example those sitting down and chatting at the sides did not come across well at all. Those who generated a positive and focused attitude caught my eye, and this was before they had even danced! It was helpful seeing some of the networking techniques come in to practice.

Positive: A girl who had worked well for the company previously was spotted as soon as she took to the floor. Already the panel where chatting about her before she performed the routine. Performing the routine well, and knowing that she was reliable an hard working previously, got the girl the job.

Negative: There was one girl who outshone others during the audition because of her ability, appearance and awareness. However, she had worked for the company before and this girl, along with the other ensemble members involved had managed to give themselves a bad name. Once the casting director realised this, she was cut immediately. Was it this girl in particular who had previously caused problems? Maybe she was tarnished with the same brush as the the others when actually she worked professionally in every way. But this didnt matter. This therefore cost her the job. This to me showed how careful you need to be to not get involved in the wrong circles. Knowing the panel this time did not work to her advantage!

Pros
Direct contact with participants.
You see the situation for yourself and don't just hear someone else's take on it.
You get a feel for the behaviour.
I myself as the inquirer can also participate in the event being observed.so therefore feel more involved and in tune with the situation.

Cons
Time consuming.
There are a lot of ethical issues you have to be aware of, especially if people are observing children.
Your presence may effect the behaviour of the participants you are observing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie, I like that you are looking at observation as more than just 'one observation'. You think and talk about observing every day situations within your professional practice. When considering observations for my inquiry, I have only thought about observing one or two classes to see how the training takes place but for me, I have now realised it would also be good to observe the relationships between students, their fellow students and members of staff both in and out of class.
    I agree that observations give direct contact with participants and that we can become involved in the situations that occur. They may be time consuming but the end result I'm sure would be worth the effort as we would receive answers that we may not have reached any other way.

    ReplyDelete