Wednesday 27 February 2013

Task 4a

A set of questions/ideas that relate to my every day professional practice

Keeping fit and healthy both physically and mentally in an industry that is very unstable

Injury prevention being a dancer

How to deal with rejection

Preparation to ensure you are audition ready

Juggling a normal (mortal) job being a dancer/ flexible enough for auditions

So many ideas are coming in to my head....already what i love about this module is that its giving you the freedom to choose a subject/question that you are interested in and that relates to your daily life. At first i sat thinking really hard about ideas that i should be using, but then i just sat back and realised that all i needed to do was think about my daily practice and the things that occur....because then thats my life and interests and so the information is there right in front of me and gives me the tools to explore further beyond myself and question other peoples attitudes. Whether they be in the same situation as myself or completely different....all opinions and circumstance will contribute to my inquiry and thats what will make it so interesting and exciting!

At the moment a question that i am swaying towards more:

In an industry that is very unstable, where work is sometimes sparse, how is it you keep yourself fit and healthy, both physically and mentally?

Themes:

In and out of work- Very few people are lucky enough to go from job to job....so how do we cope in between the dance work (if you are lucky enough to get work at all)? Because at the end of the day we have to work to be able to live...so how do we juggle everything to make sure we can still pay our rent as well as be fit physically and mentally...because only then do we have a chance of getting that dream job!
Keeping fit and audition ready- Going the gym/taking class

Healthy eating- Good nutrition to keep strong/ sensible eating so we look are best
Motivation- Both fitness and healthy eating can help boost motivation because you feel more confident in yourself

I will keep adding more ideas as they come! Feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)



5 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, It is great to see that you are looking at questions that relate to working life as a performer. Please take a look at my blog and leave me some feedback. I think we would be suited to an SIG as we are both looking at performing where some others blogs are more teaching orientated. Do you know how the best way to create an SIG is? I have done some research and LinkdIn seems like a good option? I don't have a LinkdIn page yet but may set one up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi, I have found it really interesting reading your blogs. Yes i am looking in to how a performer manages to keep themselves fit physically and mentally whilst juggling a normal life in between performing. Its not easy cramming it all in and i want to explore this further. I have so many ideas at the moment that i am worried that my question would be a bit too broad (as i have expressed to Adesola below). Maybe a few important themes would help keep me going in the right direction! Its interesting how our daily lives can change so dramatically....its like being 2 different people....one day pulling pints behind a bar, the next, cheesy smiles and pirouettes in front of an audition panel! But how do we keep our physical ability on point as well as the confidence and motivation when sometimes we havent danced on a stage in months?

      Delete
    2. Sorry and just one last point...some of your questions ask about performers wages and how they can differ... from march i am going to be part of profit share show ( wage depends on the amount of profit made) so until the very end i wont actually know how much i will be earning. It took me a while to decide if i could actually afford to do it or not! It will offer me a great experience as well as being able to perform alongside a prestigious cast for a month...not only that, it will will be a great credit to my cv and and something that could lead on to other things! So i decided to accept it....but even though i am doing what i want to do, i still am going to be juggling a normal job as well because i have bills to pay! It will be interesting to see how others in the cast are coping...we all love to perform but at the end of the day, we all have to live as well! I thought you might find this interesting!

      Delete
  2. Some great ideas to be thinking about. Have you tried looking at what is written about these reading what someone else thinks about something often opens new doors you might not have thought about.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adesola, I find that my daily practice consists of me juggling work with my auditions and dance jobs as well as keeping myself fit physically and mentally in between this all. It is sometimes a struggle to fit it all in to your life but i find that by looking after myself eg balanced diet, regular classes, gym i am able to keep myself audition ready. I find it interesting to see how others cope in between work regarding their own motivation, fitness, image and general health whilst juggling a normal life! I have all these ideas but reading other peoples comments i am worried that my question would be too broad....as health and nutrition is a large enough subject on its own. I am thinking of maybe coming up with 3/4 main themes within the inquiry so that i can limit myself.

      Feedback would be great :)

      Delete